Thursday, August 19, 2010

One Stop Shopping for Less

There is a bookstore type facility at the MTC...Wish I'd known. In his first e-mail to us, our missionary wrote, "Buying stuff at them MTC is super cheap. For example, I could get that tape recorder for $14 dollars. Just so you know when [younger brother] comes to the MTC. I should have bought my tape recorder, my journal, my notebooks, my shoulder bag (they have backpacks and shoulder bags here) and my scriptures here (and they engrave for free, if you buy it here). Basically, we get a 40% off missionary discount for all items. I also received a new pair of Spanish scriptures for free. (So if [younger brother] goes foreign language speaking, don't buy him new scriptures)."

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I have been reading every piece of advice. My son leaves in one month to serve in the Leeds England Mission. He will report directly to the MTC in Preston, England. Since I live near the Provo MTC, I would like to check out some of the items you mentioned. Do you think I can just enter their store, or do I need to be a missionary? I tried to research that on line, but can't find any information about a store in the MTC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the bookstore at the MTC is a "best kept secret," and I imagine that it is only accessible to missionaries. Most likely it is located there to serve those missionaries who arrive at the MTC without the necessary items either by accident or because they did not have access. Based on our son's report, I believe that most of the items would be similar to those found at a Church Distribution Center except for some speciality items like the shoulder bag and microcassette player.

    ReplyDelete